Friday 23 December 2011

Be My Guest

As the silly season rushes to its peak I have some good news to share. I have an interview up on Novel Spaces, thanks to Liane Spicer, where I talk about the long wait for this book to come out. This is another 'unknown' in the life of most writers - the months of waiting while editing, cover work and promotion come together. No use in getting impatient, just hold on for the ride. I am thankful my editor and I didn't tear each other's hair out, and could probably still throw back a kir royale together in France where he lives. I love my cover with its racy blond posing before a Baroque Italian church, with the retro in tasteful pink leopard skin (since when is leopard skin tasteful, well, since now!) Then in the New Year when advance review copies go out, I will enter a new phase, and probably have to write a lot more fretful blog posts and do a lot more hopeful interviews. I do hope things go well. For such a long time I have felt as though I am dangling here.

Thanks so much to readers and commenters. The blog world is a marvellous thing really, who would ever have have imagined it could be possible to reach out to other writers in faraway places, or even around the corner, who share the same frustrations, ups and downs, defeats and victories. It helps, doesn't it?

The other great piece of news is that Ether Books are putting me on their Advent Calendar tomorrow (24th December) so do have a look if you'd like to. Ether vigorously support short story writers and have given the form a classy boost.

Grazie Bea at Ether and Liane at Novel Spaces! Best wishes to you and your families for this festive season, and good luck and good health in 2012.

14 comments:

  1. Just catching up on all the news after weeks of dodgy internet access. Congratulations again Cat - the novel and the short stories - what a way to ring in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Downith,
    Thank you! I'm still thrilled. Hope the move went well. And I hope your WIP finds a good home in 2012! Happy Christmas to you and your entertaining family!
    Auguri, cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Cat, I hope the book is a huge success - congratulations on it and your interview adn may there be many more of each to come!

    Pink leaopard print, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank Rae! I hope it catches the eye and might entertain readers. It's such a venture really. Should I start worrying about reviews and distribution or throw back another prosecco and a slab of panettone? Hope you have a fantastic 2012 xcat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur; what a brilliant way to end 2011 and start 2012! Also, with regards to interviews, I should totally hook you up with my mum, who's a book blogger ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cat,
    It's really coming together, congratulations! I hope your book is a runaway best seller. Your writing is just superb.
    So the question becomes how do you top this in 2012??

    ReplyDelete
  7. But Hannah I know Whispering Gums I am over there all the time. Your Mum's blog is great. I think there is a great mix of Australian and not-only, an amazing range of material. I'm so glad I found you both! Xcat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lyra! Let's hope it does well. I'm very uncertain about what is coming next. In 2012 I will be promoting or learning how to promote, and going back to editing with the stories. Hopefully revising another novel I have waiting for a rewrite.
    It's the first time I've ended the year with such a bang, ever. It makes me wish that everyone would get a book deal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is all so exciting! I am so glad that your book is moving ahead and am grateful that 2011 gave me the opportunity to get to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lisa, thank you so much. It has been a great year for meeting other writers in the same boat, hasn't it? Very glad I found you too, your blog is hilarious and some days I really need some healthy humour. Onward! Hope all goes well for you too in 2012. Ciao xcat

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rats! I can't believe I missed this post, when you are so deserving of celebration and praise. Your writing is a joy to read, and I'm thrilled about the good news headed your way. Congratulations on all the year's successes, and may there be many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations Cat! I'm off to check out Ether....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Averil,
    Thank you! I wish you all the very best in 2012. I'm so glad I found your blog and look forward to reading your words and savouring those images every time. Don't stop! Ciao cat

    Hi Teri,
    Thanks so much! I still have your book list for 2011 on my note pad here and hope I have more time to read next year. How lovely to be in touch with all of you ladies with your sharp minds and generous words.
    All the best in 2012, ciao cat

    ReplyDelete