Monday 25 July 2011

The boys are back in town

It happens every summer. The exes come to town. Their visits overlap, or almost, it is all so horrid.

Why so horrid? Because I feel I am the overlap in person, I am that intersected ellipse where these two men collided. I have given them children that are half-this and half-that. My life was quite this, and then completely that.


Having them around I feel shaky. Was I really that woman, tethered to that life? Was I really that fiend, that crazy loving lover?

A woman could not have chosen two more opposite examples of the male species.

That is why I have been withdrawing. If I think about the exes too much I want to run. And hard.

When I finish these damned edits I am out of here in a muddy jeep, big hat and my hiking boots.

9 comments:

  1. Sending you breaths, laced in tranquility...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn passion. My face is burning just imagining running into one of those shadows from the dusty corners of my life. I tip my glass to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks MSB, you're right about the breathing. Think I should send myself off to the pool and clock up some laps.

    Thanks Deb, was that rum or mojito?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be so fine to see your face at my door....... pinot noir!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Cat. Hang tight. The woman you were brought you to the woman you are...
    Fortunately, I have no ties to my own exes and for that I am grateful. I don't want to be reminded of who I was, only who I have yet to become.
    So finish the edits and get the hell out of there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lyra you are so right. Just a little while longer and I'm outa here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a muddy jeep, big red hat, and hiking boots! That sounds absolutely fabulous. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have one of those exes, and every time I look at him, I wonder, What the hell was I thinking? What was HE thinking?

    Hang in there. They'll be gone soon, or you'll disappear under that big red hat until they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teri, my bag has been packed for a week! But now I found out they have free internet access on some tiny beach in Corsica so I will be lured to the screen. Nooo!

    Averil, yeah the ex brigade. Really makes me understand my reluctance to set up shop again.

    ReplyDelete